Pages

Wednesday 26 May 2010

A Tale of 3 Rulebooks: Part I

Had an idea on the way into work today... I have recently played Star Wars wargames using The Great War by Warhammer Historical, with home-brew lists and additional rules. I have 2 other sets of rules which could be used for this, namely Star Grunt 2 and the original Star Wars Miniatures Battles by West End Games.

So what I plan on doing is this: I will create 2 forces and play the same battle with each of the above 3 sets of rules. I will type up AARs for each version of the battle and comment on the strengths and weaknesses of each rule set as I see them. At the end I hope to say with some certainly what rules I prefer for playing Star Wars.

At the moment I predict that The Great War will come last, mainly as it will suffer from similar flaws as 40K; Star Grunt will come second, due to being a great rules set but not quite capturing the feel of Star Wars; and Star Wars Miniatures Battles will be first, seeing as it is all Star Warsy and all... But you never know...

Not entirely sure when I will get the time to do this at the moment, but I'll do my best!

2 comments:

  1. You don't get painting points for testing rules :-)
    Are your points per base then if you are not giving them for each figure on the base or is that just a point for the actual basing but per figure for the painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings old one! The points are for the base itself. I thought that was fairest. Points depending on the number of figures doesn't make much sense to me, certainly not when most of the DBA bases are similar!

    ReplyDelete