Pages

Tuesday 24 July 2012

"Do you want to know more?"

My new 15mm Starship Troopers project is coming along fairly well, so I thought it was time I posted something...

First up, the handful of warrior bugs that I have completed so far:


They are from Khurasan's range, but I am trying to paint them black/red/yellow like the ones from the movie. The light has made them look a bit greyer than they are in real life.

For the humans I have completed two Light Armour Squads and some Power Armour figures (all GZG):



I have several more bugs to complete as well as a few more squads of humans. As I was trying out the rules again today, I thought I'd present a little walk-through of a simple turn to show how the game plays.






This example only displays the simplest parts of the game. You can have multi-hit units, air-support, tunnelling, bug holes and much more with these rules. I am impressed by the way in which they are familiar yet at the same time have a lot of differences which add up to a fresh experience. I look forward to building my collection of figures and playing more games.

10 comments:

  1. Looks good Chris. The GZG figures - are they Free CalTex grunts with FSE power armour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamsin. You are absolutely right about the Free CalTex, but the power armour ones are NAC, I think. I tend to lose track of these things, so I could be mistaken!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic mate, YUM YUM went the Bugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I'm hoping that next time it will be a balanced scrap and the humans will stand more chance. You'd be surprised by how many Light Armour squads you get compared to units of bugs. In a nutshell, the bugs are tough blighters and cost more points that you might expect!

      Delete
  3. Great work and I love the presentation Chris, may I ask what program/software you used for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. The software is Comic Life. If you google it, you will find that they offer a free trial version. But be warned, you will likely want to buy the full version if you try the trial!!! :)

      Delete
  4. SST was (is) a great ruleset. Good to see it in 15mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I am only just getting into it, but definitely see the potential. Can't wait to have enough painted to fight the Klendathu campaign!

      Delete
  5. Love the rules! I was MI when it was released, and even got a demo by Matt Sprange at Mongoose HQ. It was a shame how it fizzled thru mis-handling. I have been slowly selling off my 28mm stuff, but it's hard to part with it. I have intended to do the game in 15mm at some point instead, since it suits that scale better than 28mm, but haven't resolved it yet.

    Also, I think that if the bugs need a 3+ to hit, the MI are safe on a 1-2, which is twice as good! And you already realized the bit about reacting to the "Ready" Action. Personally, I'd have jumped out of there to get some distance, then gone "Ready" while the bugs closed again.

    Stay sharp and do your part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment. Sorry it's taken ages to respond. Yes, the bugs needed 3+ but each roll was d6+1, which is why anything other than a 1 would hit. Pesky critters!

      The MI squad in this example were Light Infantry and so not equipped with jump packs unfortunately!

      I've recently been thinking about revisiting this project after letting it fall a bit by the wayside, so hopefully I'll post more on it in the coming months.

      Delete