Pages

Monday 7 January 2013

From the man cave

Happy New Year everyone! It may be somewhat belated, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been busy over the last few weeks.

Recently I've been playing a fair bit of Saga at the club and so far have been thoroughly enjoying it. As an added bonus we have played a couple of Lord of the Rings games using battleboards found on the internet and it has worked well for that too.

I have also had a little go at This Very Ground by Iron Ivan. No pictures as I was just using counters at the moment, but I really needed to try it out somehow. I'm a little on the fence after a quick first game as there seemed to be a far few omissions or unclear points in what would other wise have been a fine set of rules. I am playing Muskets and Tomahawks at the club this week, so I will be interested in comparing the two.

So, on to the cave. I was going to wait until I had more to blog about, but it became apparent that what I had completed was just taking up space and stopping me from painting more, so I took a few pictures and then moved them into their boxes until they get called to duty.

First up was a nice eBay fine. Empire handgunners and spearmen. I paid about £8 for 32 figures, which suits me just fine. The paint job on them was less than attractive, however I did not feel inclined to repaint them so I decided to see what would happen if I added some wash and flocked their bases, nothing more. The end result is one I am happy to have on my table given they are just regular troops and I didn't have the hassle of painting to go through!



Now onto my own handiwork and a 'classic' 4th Edition Warhammer Skaven Doomwheel. This is one of the reasons why I am leaning more to playing 4th edition rather than 3rd, as the character (and sheer mentalness) of the Warhammer world really starts to come together.


One thing though... please let me know if you have any suggestion for storing this model! Between the banner pole on the back of the chair and the other sticky-out bits, I really don't know how to safely store it, except maybe a lot of bubble wrap and its own small box...

Finally, I wanted to see if I could paint 6 Orks in 30 mins (or thereabouts) and managed to surprise myself by thinking they were adequate (if majorly lacking in detail!)


These chaps will be fighting it out in Gorkamorka, which I now have enough vehicles and figures for to play a simple game. Hopefully that will happen quite soon.

That's about it really. Now the painting area is clear again I'm aiming to paint some more Skaven and have a good game of 4th Edition Warhammer. I also need to paint a set of docks from Aintsy and return to my Starship Troopers project. Oh, and carry on with Lord of the Rings and do more zombie gaming and... well, you get the idea...

Happy New Year to you all.


2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year mate, You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you too!

    I don't think I have been half as busy as I could have been. I've just been saving things up for a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete