Pages

Sunday 16 March 2014

Cardstock Cowboys

Why is it that when new projects come along, they never come one at a time, reasonably spread out so that I can focus on one for a good while and get it properly off the ground before new inspiration strikes?!

I am still waiting for the rules and figures for my FIW project, but in the meantime ended up getting hold of Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory by THW. Now I am a big fan of THW at the best of times, but the campaign rules for SGS are something else. Not only do you get a series of distinct scenarios, covering much more than just your usual gunfights, but a swathe of character class options and specific campaigns for each type, built up of a selection of appropriate scenarios and appropriate happenings between games. So you can choose to be a sheriff, cowboy, gunslinger, Texas Ranger, outlaw etc and the game makes each feel different.

For example, the sheriff has a specific scenario in which he has to disperse a rowdy crowd in a saloon. This can go well and peacefully, or a gunfight could break out. All well and good, but the sheriff also has to work to maintain the good will of the locals in order to be reelected at the end of each year. Conversely, the Ranger campaign places more emphasis on commanding a group of men, managing your resources to cover the year's encounters, fighting Indians and keeping routes between towns free of trouble. The outlaw, on the other hand, has to bring in enough loot to keep his band happy, or he could end up in a showdown with unhappy men. Cowboys naturally spend their time on the trail, driving cattle.

To this you can add that encounter types vary in likelihood depending on how well settled the region is you are traveling through or living in. In fact this can also change over time as small mining outposts grow or suffer from droughts, severe fighting or a harsh winter. None of this is very complex though, just full of flavour. If you can survive the tumultuous years between 1875-1885 you can say you have 'won', although a lot can depend on how you feel you have done in your career or what personal goals you decide to set for yourself.

Now, I have to say I have not actually played any games with these rules, but my initial impressions are highly favourable. Although the core rules are versatile and fit all kinds of gaming in the period, the campaign clearly forgoes the typical 'Hollywood Wild West' type of game and tends more towards an authentic 'Old West' experience and the knowledge Bob Minadeo (the author) has of the era is quite clearly informed more by the history books than the movies.

So I found myself entirely taken by these rules and wanting to try them as cheaply as possible. Thanks to Whitewash City and card standups from Wargame Vault this is easily possible and here is my first bash:


The Saloon is actually a free sample from Whitewash City if you want to give it a go yourself. It is scaled for 28/30mm, but I reduced it to 64% for 15mm figures. It wasn't very fiddly even after reduction!


The figures are also 28/30mm, so I reduced these by 50%. The figures are only going to be a temporary fix as I'll probably get some 15mm chaps from Peter Pig's Western Range. he buildings on the other hand will be a permanent and cheap addition to my collection.

That's all for now, I hope that I will get the chance to complete some more buildings and figures over the next few weeks and show how the Six Gun Sound rules work in practice.

6 comments:

  1. They look pretty cool and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the figures are more of a stop-gap measure while I work out how committed I am to the game as a project, but the buildings are quality for the outlay.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. My current dream is to do a "Cowboys Vs Aliens" scenario, with Xenomorphs. That would be ace. And entirely doable by pinching bits from other THW rulesets. Hehe

      Delete
  3. Super cheap way to get off the ground man. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. I put another building together last night. Really happy with how they look when complete.

      Delete